Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thankful for healing

Re-Post

After some questions about how I got started as a yoga teacher, I decided to re-post something I wrote several months ago. Today I am thankful for the body and it's AMAZING ability to heal. And I am thankful that part of my healing journey resulted in becoming a yoga teacher!


Trauma, Transformation, and Yoga

Some of you may be aware of my story about "how I decided to become a yoga teacher." Usually if I get asked this question, it is just a minute or 2 before the start of class, so my answers are brief and don't really tell the full story. I want to share my story here, as I think that many of you will be able to relate to the changes that happened in my life after a difficult and painful experience.

In July of 2004, I had a motorcycle accident that resulted in a crush injury to my left foot. After 2 orthopedic surgeries, I knew I wanted to return to the active person that I had been before the accident. I had started a one time a week yoga practice about a year prior to my accident and absolutely fell in love with the serenity and calm that yoga brought to my overactive mind. As a mental health therapist, I had now found a whole new set of tools that were helpful with not just physical flexibility, but mental clarity and flexibility as well! I was personally starting to see some great physical changes too. I began eating less junk and was in touch with how my body was feeling. I lost 10 pounds and felt calmer and stronger in every aspect of my life.

So, what a great blessing it was to have a yoga practice to return to as I was recovering from my accident and injury!!  My first few classes had me coming in on crutches and wearing an orthopedic boot. I literally did maybe 3 or 4 of the postures, and would rest or find savasana during the rest of the class. During final relaxation,  I would feel this amazing sense of compassion and care sweep over me. I imagined that I was being held in God's hands and I began to trust that I would come through my pain and eventually recover.

As time went on, and I felt stronger and my body healed, I began to feel that maybe I had something to offer to others through yoga. I had come through a traumatic accident, and yoga had been a huge part of my recovery both mentally and physically. Maybe there were other people out there that needed yoga's power. Maybe because of my experience, I could help others find healing emotionally and physically. These thoughts would not let me go, so I decided to step way out of my comfort zone and take my first yoga teacher training class. Here I was, a 42 year old woman, with no background in fitness. I was never a jock. I liked playing golf, walking, and doing yoga....but I wasn't particularly strong, fit or bendy! I was scared that the others in the training would laugh me out of the room!! Luckily for me, in my first training what was emphasized was the notion that there is a "place in the yoga community for everyone" and the idea that yoga wasn't a competition or a place for comparisons and judgment.

So here I am, nearly 11 years after my accident, and more than 6 years have passed since I completed my yoga training! What a blessing and a gift to share the power of yoga with others! Out of my accident, out of trauma, recovery, and feeling transformed by my yoga practice, I am now in a place in life where I get to share the healing and spirit-filled aspects of yoga practice with other people. It is my deepest hope and life's dream to be a conduit for healing, to help others to step out of their own comfort zone, so that they may discover the deep truth that yoga lays plain: We are all full of goodness and light and have gifts we need to bring to the world. When we say "Namaste" we are acknowledging our divine nature, and our connection to one another and the larger world.

Maybe as you read this, you're recalling your own challenge with an illness, a trauma, or an injury. Maybe like the old me, you have a deeply held idea that yoga is "for flexible and fit people" or maybe you worry as I did that others will judge you and laugh you out of the room. If you are ready to step out of your comfort zone, and want to be open to the opportunity for greater health, better body awareness, and a calmer mind and spirit, get it touch with me !! If my classes and teaching style are a good fit for you, fantastic! If not, let me help you find your space in the yoga world....there is a place in the yoga community for EVERYONE.

2 comments:

BHanson said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Karen! As I've said before, I call my weekly yoga my "doctor's appointment". It brings healing to my body and mind.

Today, I am thankful for a diverse and generous work environment. While we are celebrating Veteran's Day with an am ceremony and cake, we also have many people celebrating Diwali today -'The festival gets its name from the row (avali) of clay lamps (or deepa) that Indians light outside their homes to symbolize the inner light that protects us from spiritual darkness.'

Sandy Thibault - Life Coach said...

Your how you became a yoga teacher is inspiring. Yoga has helped me through my own health challenges but also you as a teacher, offering adaptions helped a lot. Kudos to you!