Sunday, January 31, 2016

On and off the mat

How do you behave and what do you think about when you are 'on the mat?' It's probably a pretty good indicator of who you are 'off the mat.' If you are someone who is constantly pushing or comparing yourself to other yogis, my guess is that you do this in other aspects of life too. If you consider yourself a hard worker, it's probably true that you also work hard on the mat and may have difficulty with modifying postures or tolerating final relaxation. If you rest a bit too often and back off from challenging poses as soon as things get unfamiliar or you feel shaky, do you also back down from challenges in other areas of life? Maybe you are the yogi who is very curious about the hows and whys of yoga asana. Probably means you are an inquisitive type in other aspects of life too. All of us have different personalities and will approach our yoga practice from our own unique vantage point.

Yoga practice is amazing on so many levels. On the mat, we practice strengthening the body, following the breath, and focusing our minds. We can be curious observers of our bodies, our thinking, and our patterns of behavior. Our practice has so much to teach us that can go way beyond the physical postures or how flexible our bodies might be. Yoga is a practice for living because it challenges not just our bodies, but our thinking and behavior too. I know my own practice has given me a safe place to consider my actions and make changes related to how I think and behave. I am a bit less reactive and more aware of my own emotional triggers as a result of my yoga practice.

Feel free to share the ways that yoga has impacted you! I'd love to hear your experiences about what yoga has meant for you both on and off the mat.


No comments: