Sunday, January 24, 2016

Taking the Time

We all like to claim that we are busy people. Busyness is seen as productive and important. As a result, sometimes people use the excuse of "busyness" as a way to avoid good self care, exercise, and healthy habits. I don't know where I first heard the phrase "navel gazing" but I know it was said as a way to express an impatience for those who would choose to take time for things like meditation, introspection, or quiet reflection. Meditation, relaxation and the idea of 'don't just do something, sit there!' kind of flies in the face of our need to look busy, important, and worthwhile to others.

I found this quote today from Max Strom (a yoga teacher and writer) that expresses how important it is that we take the time for healing practices in life:
"When we heal, we become more empathetic, self-less, and sympathetic to the pain and welfare of others. It is our gift to others to heal ourselves."

I hope you value yourself enough to take time for self care and practices that keep you heathy and strong. Do it because you deserve it. Do it because others deserve it and will benefit from your efforts as well.

2 comments:

BHanson said...

Your quote reminds me of one of my favorites from the Bible - the fruits of the spirt: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

It's true that we seem to value what we've gotten done more than the peace, love and joy that we live. Something for me to meditate on...

Karen DeBaun said...

Brenda.....I agree. Remind me to show you my new checkbook cover!! See you on the mat