Saturday, January 14, 2017

Joy in the simple things

Hygge is a Danish word (say HUE-gah) for finding ways to be grounded and savoring the joys of simple pleasures.  As I was reading about this concept in the local paper, I thought about the harshness of our Minnesota winters and how easy it can be to fall into a pattern of complaining and grumbling about the cold. Yes, my skin is so dry that my knuckles are cut up and scraped easily and I cannot seem to put on enough lip balm or moisturizer, yet as I wrote in an earlier post, I am trying this January to re-train my brain to focus on beauty, coziness, and warmth. I am drinking and savoring hot tea or enjoying a glass of wine by the fire, I have committed to wearing a warm hat even though it is a pain, because it keeps me warm and comfortable. I am working to be deliberate about enjoying ways that I can find warmth and activities that feel soothing and calming. 
I'd love to hear from you...how are you finding small ways to enjoy the beauty of winter? Stay warm and cozy out there!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice way to embrace the positive, Karen! I've been downhill skiing, snowshoeing, knitting, quietly organizing while listening to great music on my Pandora Playlists! Tea and coffee are always in the mix or my homemade kombucha. I love the sunlight on a cold day! When summer is here I feel the need to be outside. Winter is truly the time to enjoy your house and make it into your ideal home.

Karen DeBaun said...

Love it! April, if I had to pick one person that perfectly represents this idea, you would be it! I love your passion for the great outdoors in all seasons....and the warm cozy habits you practice too!