Friday, February 26, 2010

Hands-on Adjustments ??

For those of you in my yoga classes, you know that I do not go around and physically put my hands on students to try to deepen a student's pose or to correct misalignments. My training is one that focuses on providing strong verbal and visual cues (so I am a demonstration style teacher) to help students find a safe and effective yoga practice. However, I know that for some students, they really like and appreciate the individual attention and the new way a pose can feel just by making a slight physical adjustment with help from the instructor.

I have had both positive and negative kinds of experiences with hands-on adjustments when I have been a student in a yoga class. I have certainly benefited from a teacher gently touching a shoulder to help me release tension that I did not even know was there, and have been more challenged in poses when encouraged to deepen an asana, again with gentle help from a teacher.
Unfortunately, I have also had teachers "forget" that I have told them about an injury and they have "adjusted" me in ways that have felt painful and rather scary. The last thing that I ever want to do is to make a student uncomfortable in class....and I think for many yogis, the thought of having the teacher focused specifically on them and touching them is intimidating and makes them self conscious.

What do you think? I'd love to hear other perceptions and opinions on this topic! Please add a comment to this blog, as I am always open to feedback and would love to hear about your experiences.

No comments: