Thursday, August 13, 2009

5 remembrances

This version of Buddha's 5 remembrances is by Thich Nhat Hanh...

I am of the nature to grow old. There is no escaping growing old.
I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.
I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.
All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to avoid being separated from them.
My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.
My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

The first time I read the above remembrances, I remember thinking "What a bummer!" These statements fly right in the face of my denial about the impermanence of life and my notions that I can somehow escape old age, sadness or feeling bad simply by having good habits and living right!
For about the past week, I have been sick with a cold (which feels especially unfair somehow in the summer!) I admit I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself and have found myself wondering "what I did" to get sick. Our bodies are so amazing...and I know that I take for granted my good health much of the time....and then I feel somewhat ripped off if I suddenly become mildly ill for a few days!!
I do have to admit that the part of the remembrances I like the best is the last statement..."My actions are the ground upon which I stand." I am probably drawn to that statement since it feels like something I can control! Through the practice of yoga, I have found some awareness and at least some brief periods of time when I feel that I am more "in the moment," paying attention to what I am doing and saying and why. Hopefully this helps me behave, speak and listen with a bit more care. It's hard for me to think about all the little ways I am short tempered and speak without really thinking in the course of a day. If my actions are my only belongings....I have some serious work to do!!
Thank goodness for the start of each new day....to begin fresh and move forward...knowing that all I can control is here and now...may my actions be the ground upon which I stand.

No comments: