Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Honesty

Most of us would say that we are honest people. If that's the case, why do so many of us say yes to things when we'd really prefer to say no?

I know that I struggle with this issue. I actively seek to avoid conflict and will let my need to be "nice" or the idea that I don't want to hurt someone's feelings get in the way of being direct and clear. I am trying to make progress in this area by pausing and simply not talking or giving an answer one way or another. At least then I have an opportunity to go back later to say no! Even this is a stall tactic and not very respectful of my own needs or the needs of the person who was requesting something. By avoiding an answer, I may lead them to think that I agree, and I put myself in the stressful position of trying to figure out when and where to set the record straight.

On our yoga mats our practice allows us time and space to be present. Hopefully we can find clarity and truth that will allow us to grow in our integrity and ability to offer our best to the world. Maybe we all need to seek to find the balance between being brutally honest (which may just be an excuse for being aggressive toward someone else) and being too passive and failing to speak up. Think about your words. Speak with gentleness and truth.

No comments: