Tuesday, May 26, 2009

yoga lessons

Last week I was reminded of two things: one, that yoga is a "practice" (something that needs to be done on a regular basis) and two, that yoga can profoundly influence my outlook and mood. Here's what happened.....
I decided (rather late) that I should get to a yoga class last Friday morning. Looking at the clock, I realized it was a bit of a press, but I figured I could make it right on time for the 8am class being held. Normally at this studio, someone is working the front desk to sign people in, manage the clothing and boutique sales....so I banked on the fact that I could get in even if I was a minute or two late. WRONG! As it was the Friday before a holiday weekend, I arrived at the studio at 8:02...only to find the door locked!!! Aggghh! After driving a fair distance, I was more than mifffed!! Muttering under my breath, I wandered to the back of the building to see if there was an open door, but no luck. My only option was to throw rocks at the above studio window (not terribly yoga-like and certainly not calming for those that came to class...on time!) so I sulked and got back in my car.
I was SO irritated! My intention to take a lovely yoga class to start my weekend off right had gone very wrong. I contemplated heading to the health club, but just couldn't do it. Finally, I decided to go home and do some yoga on my deck (something I love to do....but I don't always challenge myself enough in a home practice, thus the idea that I needed that studio class!). I arrived at home, in a funk, and talked myself into doing just a "few minutes" on the deck.
You can guess the end of the story....as I fell into my breath, took a moment to notice that the sun was warm on my face, and that birds were putting on a concert in my backyard, I had the most delightful yoga practice!
I was stunned at the end of my home practice by the dramatic shift in both my mood and outlook. I ended the practice with a short meditation in which I decided to move peacefully through my day, to lose the frantic pace and irritability that I had started the day with, and to complete as much of my "to-do" list as I could...without being hung up on any details that just did not get finished.
So...yoga is a practice...that we need to take some time for each day...and whether we spend 90 minutes doing a challenging practice, or 5 minutes breathing and reflecting...it can be such a source of comfort! Yoga opens our hearts, minds, and bodies to new ways of thinking about our lives. We can suddenly find new ways to approach the little details of life that can overwhelm us when we lose our perspective.
Lesson learned? Take the time to be deliberate about my yoga practice. Recognize that even "yoga on the deck" can be a profound learning experience. Be open and mindful about the ways that yoga and "within time" can benefit me each time that I take the time.
Peace to all....
Karen

4 comments:

Bobbi Li said...

This is my first time visiting a blog. I like yours because it makes me think about my approach to life and it gives me alot of choices for additional yoga and other options that Aslan has to offer. Thank you! I like your blog.
Bobbi Li

Karen DeBaun said...

Thanks for your comments! I hope you find some more ways to add yoga to your life. :)

marycay.carsello@thomsonreuters.com said...

This is my first time commenting on a blog. It looks like you're inspiring a lot of "firsts" Karen.

For me this entry focused me on value of centering myself through yoga practices -even just the breathing - that can make each day the giftit truly is.

A beautiful story... thank you for sharing it

Karen DeBaun said...

MaryCay,
Thanks for the comments. Let me know when you want to get together for your 1:1 time to break down some poses. :)