Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Yoga's Popularity

As time goes by, I am more and more impressed with yoga's popularity. Although I have to say that some of the ways that yoga has expanded and gained in popularity kind of bum me out, since I think that sometimes the beauty and essence of yoga gets lost in the "newest exercise craze" whirlwind.
The exciting part of yoga's popularity is that people of all ages and abilities are seeking it out..as a way to help them with fitness and flexibility, but also as a method to reduce stress and find some mental clarity. Whether you are 7 years old or 70...there is a yoga class somewhere for you! I have the unique privilege of being able to teach yoga poses and breath work to kids in an elementary school...and have had students into their early 70's in my classes in the community. I hope to have the opportunity to begin a chair yoga class to bring yoga to an even broader range of students in 2011 as well.
So...amidst the noise and negativity of our current culture....running into people of all ages and from all walks of life in yoga brings me some comfort. People everywhere seek good health, calm bodies and clear minds.
May we all be happy, healthy, and well.....

No comments: